Pancetta and Blonde Roux
- 8 oz pancetta diced small
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Shamrock Farms Half & Half
- 1 lb dry pasta (suggestions:pipette, elbow or cavatelli)
- 1.5 lb sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup Shamrock Farms Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Shamrock Farms Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1 cup bread crumbs (crumbled state white bread)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- In a large pot over medium-high heat sauté diced pancetta in 2 tablespoons of butter until golden brown. Lower heat to medium-low and add the flour (the butter and fat from the cooked pancetta are being combined to create a blonde roux)Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the flour begins to take on a little color, approx. 5-6 minutes. Once the roux is a golden blonde, add half & half and turn heat back to medium-high, stirring constantly throughout this process.Bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes, roux will thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon then turn heat down to low. Hold sautéed pancetta and blonde roux on low until ready for Step 2.
- Cook dry pasta 2 minutes less then instructed by package. Drain pasta and place in a large mixing bowl. Add1 pound of shredded cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, and salt, and gently fold with a rubber spatula until well combined.Add reserved roux to mixing bowl and gently fold together. Spray a 9 x 13” baking dish with cooking spray. Place pasta in baking dish and hold for Step 4.
- Combine all ingredients, breadcrumbs through thyme, in a mixing bowl and gently toss. Hold breadcrumbs for Step 4.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Top pasta evenly with 8 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, followed by a layer of breadcrumbs. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, approx. 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.Garnish options: cracked black pepper, chopped parsley, red pepper flakes