Dairy Council® of Arizona recognizes the importance of a healthy, nutritious summer feeding program on the health of Arizona children. Summer feeding provides the nutritional bridge between the end of one school year and the beginning of a new school year. Dairy Council® of Arizona is committed to assisting non-profit agencies increase participation in their summer feeding programs so students return to school in the fall, healthy and ready to learn.
Dairy Council® of Arizona will award up to five (5) $2,000 grants to non-profit sponsors or agencies proposing expansion of their Summer Food Service Program with an emphasis on healthy eating and daily exercise that includes promotion of at least three servings of dairy a day. Applicants are required to be non-profit organizations.
Due Date: Grant applications must be received online by Friday, May 10, 2019. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
If you have questions, you can reach Terri at (480) 656-7163 or email@example.com.
Click on the toggle bar below to view the grant criteria, or click here to print a PDF copy.
GRANT CRITERIA FOR NON-PROFITS
EVALUATION AND SELECTION CRITERIA
The Dairy Council® of Arizona Summer Food Service Program grants are open to all OPEN sites in the state of Arizona. Grants are also open to past Dairy Council® of Arizona Summer Food Service Program grant winners who have completed the Final Report from previous grant year.
Open Sites 7 CFR 225.2 definitions, Attachment 1. Most sponsors establish site eligibility on “need and openness.” If a site is located in a needy area (where 50 percent or more of the children residing in the area are eligible for free or reduced-price school meals) and meals are made available to all children in the area on a first-come, first-serve basis, these sites are considered open. Sponsors of open sites must take the necessary steps to allow meal service access to all children residing in the area served by the site. Information regarding the meal service at open sites must be publicized in the community served.
- Programs must include at least one (1) element that empowers kids to be advocates for healthy eating, including at least three servings of dairy a day.
- Programs must be implemented during the 2019 summer. Preference will be given to those who run their programs throughout the entire summer (June, July and August).
- Programs must aim to increase milk, cheese or yogurt consumption (or “intake”) to at least three servings per day through the design and implementation of one or more educational activities.
- Programs receiving financial assistance shall not exclude from participation, deny benefits to or discriminate against any person or institution on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin or physical handicap in accordance with Federal statutes.
- Applications will be evaluated and selected by and a panel consisting of individuals from health, nutrition and education partners.
- Grant applications must be received via the online application form by Friday May 10, 2019. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Successful applicants or Grantees will be notified on or around May 20, 2019.
- Grantees will be required to sign the Dairy Council® of Arizona Summer Food Service Program Grant Agreement, which provides that the Grantee will use all grant funds for the purposes specified in the grant award and will comply with all terms and conditions of the grant.
Applicants agree to submit menus for all meals served under the Summer Food Service Program along with records showing totals of meal counts and milk sales.
One thousand, five hundred dollars ($1,500) will be awarded at the onset of the Summer Food Service Program and five hundred dollars ($500) will be awarded at the end of summer food operations after all required documentation has been successfully submitted, received and approved by Dairy Council® of Arizona.
Please note Dairy Council® of Arizona reserves the right to terminate or suspend a grant award if the terms of the grant or the Dairy Council® of Arizona Summer Food Service Non-profit Grant Program Agreement are not met. In addition, Dairy Council® of Arizona reserves the right to request the Grantee and Grantee agrees to repay Dairy Council® of Arizona any grant funds not used for the purposes of the Grant, improperly applied by the Grantee or unused by the completion of the program.
While under funding consideration, any submitted grant applications become property of Dairy Council® of Arizona. All information that is not otherwise available from public sources will be held in confidence and will be available only to appropriate Dairy Council® of Arizona staff.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND DISCLAIMER
Any publication or disclosure based on the summer feeding program or program activities supported by Dairy Council® of Arizona Summer Food Service Grant Program must contain the following acknowledgment:
“This [publication/program/activity/film/video/Web site/event] was made possible by a grant from Dairy Council® of Arizona.”
All publications or program materials must contain the following statement:
“Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this [publication/program/activity/film/video/Web site/event] are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of Dairy Council® of Arizona.”
PUBLICATION AND DISTRIBUTION
Dairy Council® of Arizona may publish, distribute and make available to the public the names of Grantees and the results and or outcomes of the Dairy Council® of Arizona Summer Food Service Non-profit Grant Program. Generally, the publication shall be in journals, on the Dairy Council® of Arizona website, on theNational Dairy Council web site and/or in similar media.