Milk is one of the most requested and least donated items at food banks. On average, people served by food banks receive the equivalent of less than 1 gallon per person per year.
COVID-19’s economic impact has dramatically increased food insecurity, especially among children.
Click the image to view the infographic
Download Infographic PDF
- Feeding America, “The Impact of Coronavirus on Food Insecurity,” June 3, 2020, https://www.feedingamericaaction.org/the-impact-of-coronavirus-on-food-insecurity/
- USDA, “Household Food Security In the United States in 2018,” September 2019, https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/94849/err-270.pdf?v=8713.8, cited by Feeding America, “Map the Meal Gap 2020,” 2020, https://map.feedingamerica.org
- Feeding America, “The Impact of Coronavirus on Local Food Insecurity,” May 19, 2020, https://www.feedingamerica.org/sites/default/files/2020-05/Brief_Local%20Impact_5.19.2020.pdf
- Northwestern Institute for Policy Research, “Visualizing Food Insecurity,” July 14, 2020, https://www.ipr.northwestern.edu/state-food-insecurity.html
- Northwestern University, “Estimates of Food Insecurity During the COVID-19 Crisis: Results from the COVID Impact Survey, Week 1 (April 20-26, 2020),” May 13, 2020, https://www.ipr.northwestern.edu/documents/reports/food-insecurity-covid_week1_report-13-may-2020.pdf
“Milk is a luxury item. Our families are always excited when we can offer milk.”
DAN, WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE
United Food Bank
Milk is a nutrient powerhouse – providing 9 essential nutrients, including 8 grams of high-quality protein per serving – and is the top food source of three of the nutrients most likely to be missing from kids’ diets: calcium, vitamin D and potassium. You can help get nutrient-rich milk to kids and families in our community who struggle with food insecurity.
Your online donation of as little as $5 to The Great American Milk Drive will deliver milk to the following Arizona organizations: St. Mary’s Food Bank, United Food Bank, Yuma Community Food Bank, and Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona
Milk is in many Americans’ refrigerators. When people need more, they pick up a gallon at the grocery store. Watch what happens when shoppers discover what missing milk really means.